Monday, September 26, 2011

Ladies, Let Your Man Watch Football!!!

Ahhh football. Just saying the word football gives a lot of men a sense of excitement and ironically a sense of relaxation. It is a game that a lot of men played as boys whether it was in school, Pop Warner leagues or just "pick up" games in the street. Things like tossing a football with their father or gathering with family and friends tailgating at football stadiums or having Thanksgiving underscored with this game are all traditions that have a connection with a lot of guys. The love of football usually stays with fellas for a lifetime. IT is a part of them.  Now ladies, why would you want to sully something like that?

First, let me clear up a couple of things. Obviously I am NOT talking about ALL ladies. There are plenty of women out there who love football just as much as men do and will watch with or without their partners. There are also some females who are not crazy about football but do not try to obstruct their men from watching. But to my surprise, there are still women who have a problem with their significant other watching football. Over the years I have spoken to a lot of different ladies about this subject and I would say about half (non-scientific of course) are these type of females. I once dated a lady who "threatened" that she was going to get naked and pose in front of the television when a game I wanted to watch was coming on. And according to her, my response had better be the right one! Although that "showdown" didn't come to fruition (empty threat), she was still a bit upset that I wanted to watch this game. She somehow felt that I thought the game was more important to me than she was; she actually felt threatened by the game. I found through my conversations that this wasn't an uncommon (nor was the naked tatic) thought; other women that I have spoken to that were candid with me expressed similiar feelings. Journalist Roland Martin recently shared a tweet he received from a female follower of his that revealed that she desired a husband that didn't like football and she "prayed on it" - God answered her prayers and she now has a husband that was listening to music with her (at the time of her tweet) while Martin was connecting with people through Twitter around the country watching football. Different strokes for different folks but wow, somebody actually prayed to have a husband that didn't like football? I thought women usually prayed for men that were kindhearted, intelligent and assertive. I'm sure she had her reasons and but I hope she didn't lose out in the end on a great guy because he loved football. I also get a kick out a commercial that McDonalds airs on television. In the ad, a couple appears to be getting to know each other on a breakfast date at McDonalds. The woman makes a comment that her sister's boyfriend feels that Sundays are just for football. The statement was made to gauge the guy's feelings about the matter. He feels pressured to come up with the right thing to say, so he calls the sister's boyfriend a jerk which appeases the young lady with him. Really? So because a guy likes to watch football on Sundays he's a jerk? And that's what she wanted to hear? I know it's a fictional commercial but I'm sure thoughts and conversations in that framework has taken place millions of times.

I know some guys can get obsessive about football. Some will watch college football all day Saturday and then watch NFL football all day Sunday. That surely over time will make a gal feel neglected if she wants to do other things. And if a guy neglects other important responsibilities in lieu of football that is a problem as well. But if a guy picks a game or two to watch and still goes out with you and do things you want to do, what's wrong with that? A little compromise can go a very long way. I would even recommend learning the game and watching a few them with him. You'd be a surprise how much of a turn on that is to guys (just don't go spouting how "hot" some of the players are in their tight pants). If you have no tolerance for the game, then let him watch in peace. Remember in most cases, he doesn't love football more than you; it's not even close. You can then carry out your threat to "distract" him when he's giving you his undivided attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment